Notice: Only variables should be passed by reference in /www/wp-content/themes/francoise/option-tree/ot-loader.php on line 98 Notice: Only variables should be passed by reference in /www/wp-content/themes/francoise/option-tree/ot-loader.php on line 326
Whether you’re heading to Churchill Downs or watching from home with mint juleps – there’s something about the Kentucky Derby that demands we put our best fashion & beauty foot forward.
Here are some Stylisted do’s and don’ts to help you navigate the tricky world of big hats and pastel palettes.
– Balance your big hat with big curls
– Voluminous romantic curls are the perfect complement to a big, beautiful hat. Embrace the glamour of this traditional event
– Bring festival fashion to the track
– Leave your braids and neons in Indio. Festival beauty is fun, but not a great fit for derby fashion. Keep it coiffed and classic.
– Try a small hat, fascinator, or elegant headband
– If you’re a practical woman who doesn’t want to deal with a big hat in a crowded space, venture into the smaller headpiece arena. You’re sure to stand out and you won’t miss a minute of the race due to viewing obstruction.
– Wear your everyday ponytail
– Your hairstyle should match the occasion – charming and glamorous. Try a chic low side bun – suitable for any size hat or hair accessory.
– Try a feminine pastel lip
– You can’t wear baby pink or soft violet every day so take advantage of the derby to be your most feminine self.
– Pair a bold eye with a bright lip
– Pick one or the other. It’s a daytime event. Chances are whatever you’re wearing on your head is going to attract a bit of attention so keep your makeup simple with a singular pop.
And if you need any help getting ready, you know who to turn to 😉